The Scottish SPCA has launched an investigation into claims that a dog was deliberately poisoned with a pesticide three times in less than a fortnight.
Scotland’s animal welfare charity was called in after the owner of the dog, who lives on a farm on the Isle of Bute, contacted the police.
SSPCA investigators believe the dog, which has survived, was deliberately poisoned with slug pellets.
A spokeswoman for the charity said today: “The SSPCA was alerted to the concerning incidents at Lower Ettrick Farm in Rothesay, Bute, after the owner contacted the Police. On all three occasions it was confirmed that the dog, a Jack Russell terrier cross named Dougie, had ingested slug pellets with the active ingredient of metaldehyde.”