This Easter the RSPCA is issuing a reminder to pet owners that chocolate is toxic to dogs and can be deadly if consumed.
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine which is toxic to dogs, and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions and even death. Cocoa powder is the most toxic chocolate product, followed by dark and then milk chocolate.
Never watch and wait in any case of suspected poisoning, contact your vet straight away if you are worried. The effects can take hold extremely quickly, so knowing the symptoms and how to respond to them can be the difference between life and death
RSPCA dog welfare expert Lisa Richards said: “We all know that our dogs can sometimes beg for food but if you give in and feed your dog human foods like chocolate, you risk poisoning your dog and it could even die.
“Other human foods like hot cross buns are also a danger to our pets, so if you want your dog to share in a treat with you this Easter, please stick to specially made canine treats.
The organisation is also warning gardeners to be wary of a mulch product which is potentially lethal to dogs.
Lisa continued, “If dogs eat cocoa mulch – which is sold in garden centres and DIY stores - it could poison them in the same way that chocolate can. Some manufacturers warn consumers of the dangers on mulch packaging, but others don’t.”
Enter your email address below and never miss out on the latest, most important dog news: