The Beijing Associated Press has reported that 1, 500 Raccoon dogs, who are native to East Asia and are bred for their fur to make trims on clothes, have died after their food being contaminated with a dangerous chemical. The same chemical has also been found in dairy products for children.
The poisonous chemical – melamine, was found in the food and resulted in all the 1,500 Raccoon dogs dying of kidney stones, in one farm in a Chinese village.
Zhang Wenkui, a veterinary professor at Shenyang University did a necropsy – an animal autopsy – on a dozen animals and found them all to have died of kidney failure. Although he denied when the deaths occurred, a newspaper reported that it happened over the past two months.
Zhang told the Associated Press ”First, we found melamine in the dogs’ feed, and secondly, I found that 25 percent of the stones in the […]
Enter your email address below and never miss out on the latest, most important dog news: